Perhaps one of the most important aspects of being a great leader at any level is self-awareness. If you believe that leadership matters than it might be time to step things up a little, or a whole lot.
Demonstrating leadership doesn’t exist in obtaining the position. It isn’t always about formal bounds of authority. If you want leadership recognition consider how you measure up.
Do you want to be more self-aware? Are you demonstrating great leadership qualities?
- How do you demonstrate integrity?
- What will you do to inspire someone, anyone?
- How do you show passion for the work?
- Are you trustworthy and how do others know?
- Do you help others discover more confidence?
- What will you change?
- Are you willing to take appropriate risk?
- What will build your own character?
- How are you helping?
- If you didn’t show up would it matter?
- How will you show resilience?
- Is your work focused?
- Do you believe in persistence?
- How do you show appreciation?
- Are you courageous?
- Are you accountable for your own actions?
- Do you do as you say?
- Are you building appropriate connections?
- Is your communication clear, concise, and factual?
- Are you an innovator?
- Do you believe in your mission?
- What opportunities are you creating?
- How will you address weaknesses?
- What will be your legacy?
- What do others say about you?
Are you able to quickly answer these? What questions made you pause, made you think, or made you wonder why it made the list? A helpful hint for processing this might be to focus more on the ones that caused you to pause, there is probably a reason.
False perceptions and self-deception is one of the most important yet often unrecognized leadership trouble spots.
Are you leading?
Do you believe it matters?
Dennis E. Gilbert is a business consultant, speaker (CSPTM), and corporate trainer that specializes in helping businesses and individuals accelerate their leadership, their team, and their success. He is a four-time author and some of his work includes, Forgotten Respect, Navigating A Multigenerational Workforce and Pivot and Accelerate, The Next Move Is Yours! Reach him through his website at Dennis-Gilbert.com or by calling +1 646.546.5553.