There are movements about buy local. It works for the Farmer’s market, the coffee shop, and the well-managed mom and pop restaurant. In so many other consumer markets online is winning the war.
Many people love brick and mortar businesses and they’ll tell you that they are committed to them. Unfortunately, in many areas the brick and mortar businesses are losing ground and turning into rubble and fail.
There are so many reasons, but many of them circle back to the basics of customer service and the customer experience. What is easy, fast, and reliable? As it turns out, online is stealing the market.
Online is Winning
Here are 15 of many reasons why:
- Fast is best. People want it now, or the fastest way possible. Out-of-stock at the brick and mortar storefront is a lost sale.
- Accuracy matters. Often the consumer is more knowledgeable (or researches online) and finds dealing with inexperienced counter sales staff a waste of time.
- Easy to find. When you know what you want but you don’t know where to buy it. Search, find, buy, it is all online.
- Explained well. When you are unsure how to use it, you search online. There is a tendency to buy where you find the help and support you need.
- Good pictures. What does it look like? You’ll find good pictures, schematics, part numbers, and price, all online. It works for dresses and cosmetics too.
- Confidence in purchase. Security is a concern of many. Online is starting to feel safer than a trip downtown.
- One stop. Everything I need right at my fingertips. Going store to store has many people believing that is a bore.
- Free shipping. I don’t pay more to buy it online. Hit the button now and it’s on the way.
- No tax. This varies of course, but often you can escape sales tax.
- Arrives at door. Push the button and forget it. Better yet you can track your own package to see exactly where it is.
- No hassle. Explaining what you need, educating the sales person, and then fewer options. All of this is a hassle and people want easy.
- No lines. A line means your waiting. Waiting seems like a waste. A few clicks and you’re done.
- Better timing. Everyone wants to do the things they want to do, or feel they have to do, or sometimes more importantly when they can.
- Control. When you can quickly understand your options and make no hassle choices, you’re in control. Control of your transaction feels good. Feels good means you’ll be back.
- No return trip. You don’t have to drive back, go again, call to check. Everything is at your fingertips and on your doorstep.
Shop Your Way
Do you believe online is winning the war?
Certainly, some people like to shop. They enjoy the experience and like the idea of brick and mortar. Supporting local matters to them, brick and mortar feels good.
Brick and mortar still has a chance, maybe, but they are going to have to choose their battles.
Winners are ease of use, economical, and the best experience.
Dennis E. Gilbert is a business consultant, speaker (CSPTM), and corporate trainer that specializes in helping businesses and individuals accelerate their leadership, their team, and their success. He is a four-time author and some of his work includes, Forgotten Respect, Navigating A Multigenerational Workforce and Pivot and Accelerate, The Next Move Is Yours! Reach him through his website at Dennis-Gilbert.com or by calling +1 646.546.5553.
Dennis Gilbert on Google+