Fast-paced is used to describe the action of many businesses today. In a fast-paced, no wait, needed it yesterday world the best leadership is patient.
Other Side of Fast
We often skip or completely forget about the other side. The side where values and traditions shape the culture for what might be known as the long haul. Certainly, you have to survive the short term to make the long haul but without a healthy culture any future might be questionable.
One of the finest qualities of the best leaders might not be their exceptional pace in the face of pressure. It might be their innate ability to understand the value patience.
Leadership is Patient
There are many reasons that the best leaders value patience. Here are five of my favorites:
- Shared effort. When we recognize that buy-in is created by shared experiences the value shifts from fast to patient. A team of eight shouldn’t be a working team of five while three observe. Shared effort means everyone is engaged.
- Enrollment. A team isn’t a team without enrollment. Moreover, enrollment is necessary for culture. Individuals enroll to participate. Participation and patience means they’ll stay.
- Reduces fear. Poor leadership assumes that one of the biggest motivators for fast is fear. Leaders who are patient understand that the closest hurdle isn’t the last one. Sprinting between hurdles is important but there is more than one leap.
- Far sighted. The future of the organization means that there is a future for the tribe. Individuals are best motivated through purpose and they’ll care more about the outcomes when they understand the vision for the future. Patience creates a future.
- Doesn’t blame. Blame is the game for fast stops or crash, then burn. Having patience to process through trouble spots and learn from those experiences means that there really isn’t much room for blame.
Patience might feel more difficult, even risky. It isn’t for the short run, it’s for the long haul.
Long hauls require the best leadership of all.
Leadership is patient.
Dennis E. Gilbert is a business consultant, speaker (CSPTM), and corporate trainer that specializes in helping businesses and individuals accelerate their leadership, their team, and their success. He is a four-time author and some of his work includes, Forgotten Respect, Navigating A Multigenerational Workforce and Pivot and Accelerate, The Next Move Is Yours! Reach him through his website at Dennis-Gilbert.com or by calling +1 646.546.5553.